- AuD, Audiology, Salus University (Pennsylvania College of Optometry, School of Audiology); Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, 2006
- PhD, Speech and Hearing Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, 1989
- MA, Audiology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, 1986
- BA, Speech and Hearing Sciences, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara CA, 1982
- BA, Psychology, University of California Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara CA, 1982
Societies and Organizations:
Member, Alpha Eta Honor Society
- CSD 5540: Doctoral Seminar in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- CSD 6980: Research for Doctoral Dissertation
- CSD 8273: Pathologies of the Auditory System
- CSD 8213: Hearing Aids I
- CSD 8352: Counseling in Audiology
- CSD 8420: Clinical Practicum
- CSD 9113: Pediatric Habilitation
- CSD 9142: Ototoxicity and Pharmacology
- CSD 9273: Adult Aural Rehabilitation
- Oklahoma Center for the Advancement of Science and Technology Health Research Grant 16-118, $113,958 Hearing Evaluation, Rehabilitation, and Outcomes (HERO) Laboratory, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, College of Allied Health Role: Principal Investigator
Title: Health-related Quality of Life Benefits from Advanced Digital Technology Hearing Aids
Grant Period: 8/1/2016- 7/30/2020
- Hough Ear Institute, $12,738
Hearing Evaluation, Rehabilitation, and Outcomes (HERO) Laboratory, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, College of Allied Health
Collaborator: Richard Kopke, MD, CEO Hough Ear Institute
Role: Principal Investigator
Title: A Test Battery for Cochlear Synaptopathy
Grant Period: 1/1/2017-12/31/17
- Johnson, C.E. (2012) Introduction to auditory rehabilitation: A contemporary issues approach. Boston, MA: Pearson, Allyn & Bacon.
- Haynes, W.O., & Johnson, C.E. (2009) Understanding research and evidence-based practice in communication disorders: a primer for students and practitioners. Boston, MA: Pearson, Allyn & Bacon.
- Johnson, C.E., & Danhauer, J.L. (2002) Handbook for outcomes measurement in audiology. San Diego, CA: Singular-Thomson Learning.
- Johnson, C.E., & Danhauer, J.L. (1999) Guidebook for support programs in aural
- rehabilitation. San Diego, CA: Singular Publishing Group.
RECENT JOURNAL ARTICLE PUBLICATIONS:
- Jilla AM, Johnson CE, Huntington-Klein N. Hearing aid affordability in the United States. Disabil Rehabil Assist Technol. 2020 Oct 28; 1-7. PMID: 33112178.
- Jilla AM, Johnson CE. Population-based perspectives on affordability of hearing aids. Hear J 2020; 73(12):42,44, 45.
- Johnson CE, Jilla AM, Danhauer JL. Toward improving accessibility and affordability of hearing aids for persons with mild and moderate sensorineural hearing loss. Canadian Audiologist 2020; 7(2) Available Internet: https://canadianaudiologist.ca/issue/volume-7-issue-2-2020/improving-accessibility-affordability-feature/
- Gaeta L, Azzarello J, Baldwin J, Ciro CA, Hudson MA, Johnson CE, John AB. (2019) Effects of reduced audibility on Mini-Mental State Examination scores. . J Am Acad Audiol. Mar 7. doi: 10.3766/jaaa.17139.
- Beck DL, Danhauer JL, Abrams HB, ….Johnson CE, … Wolfe J. Audiologic considerations for people with normal hearing sensitivity yet hearing difficulty and/or speech-in-noise problems. Hear Rev 2018; 25:23-28.
- Jilla AM, Johnson CE, Danhauer JL, Anderson M, Smith JN, Sullivan JC, Sanchez KR. predictors of hearing aid use in the advanced digital era: an investigation of benefit, satisfaction, and self-efficacy. J Am Acad Audiol. 2020 02; 31(2):87-95. PMID: 31429400.
- Sullivan JC, Johnson CE, Danhauer JL, Jilla AM, Sanchez KR. Large vestibular aqueduct syndrome: parents' and audiologists' perspectives. J Am Acad Audiol. 2019 09; 30(8):677-693. PMID: 31210636.
- Seever KL, Johnson CE, Baldwin J, Danhauer JL, Wolfe B, Jeannont S. Effects of including information about hidden hearing loss in an adopt-a-band program on college band members' attitudes toward healthy hearing behaviors. Semin Hear. 2018 May; 39(2):210-220. PMID: 29930438.
- Johnson CE, Barbee CM, Danhauer JL, Jilla AM, Kimball SH, Seever KL. toward the future of early intervention for adult hearing loss. Semin Hear. 2018 May; 39(2):221-226. PMID: 29915455.
- Barbee CM, James JA, Park JH, Smith EM, Johnson CE, Clifton S, Danhauer JL. Effectiveness of auditory measures for detecting hidden hearing loss and/or cochlear synaptopathy: a systematic review. Semin Hear. 2018 May; 39(2):172-209. PMID: 29915454.
- Johnson CE, Jilla AM, Danhauer JL, Sullivan JC, Sanchez KR. Benefits from, satisfaction with, and self-efficacy for advanced digital hearing aids in users with mild sensorineural hearing loss. Semin Hear. 2018 May; 39(2):158-171. PMID: 29915453.
- Jilla AM, Johnson CE, Danhauer JL. Disruptive hearing technologies and mild sensorineural hearing loss ii: current research on affordable hearing technologies and direct-to-consumer models. Semin Hear. 2018 May; 39(2):146-157. PMID: 29915452.
- Jilla AM, Johnson CE, Danhauer JL. Disruptive hearing technologies and mild sensorineural hearing loss i: accessibility and affordability issues. Semin Hear. 2018 May; 39(2):135-145. PMID: 29915451.
- Kimball SH, Johnson CE, Baldwin J, Barton K, Mathews C, Danhauer JL. Hearing aids as a treatment for tinnitus patients with slight to mild sensorineural hearing loss. Semin Hear. 2018 May; 39(2):123-134. PMID: 29915450.
- Johnson CE. The early intervention of hearing loss in adults. Semin Hear. 2018 May; 39(2):115-122. PMID: 29915449.
- Johnson CE, Jilla AM, Danhauer JL. Didactic content and experiential aging simulation for developing patient-centered strategies and empathy for older adults. Semin Hear. 2018 Feb; 39(1):74-82. PMID: 29422715.
- Jilla AM, Roberts RA, Johnson CE. Teaching patient-centered counseling skills for assessment, diagnosis, and management of benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. Semin Hear. 2018 Feb; 39(1):52-66. PMID: 29422713.
- Johnson CE, Jilla AM, Danhauer JL. Developing foundational counseling skills for addressing adherence issues in auditory rehabilitation. Semin Hear. 2018 Feb; 39(1):13-31. PMID: 29422710.
- Johnson CE, Danhauer JL, Ellis BB, Jilla AM. Hearing aid benefit in patients with mild sensorineural hearing loss: a systematic review. J Am Acad Audiol. 2016 Apr; 27(4):293-310. PMID: 27115240.
- Johnson CE, Danhauer JL. Comments Regarding Rauterkus and Palmer (2014). J Am Acad Audiol. 2015 Sep; 26(8):741-3. PMID: 26333882.
- Danhauer JL, Johnson CE, Baker JA, Ryu JA, Smith RA, Umeda CJ. Will parents participate in and comply with programs and regimens using xylitol for preventing acute otitis media in their children? Lang Speech Hear Serv Sch. 2015 Apr; 46(2):127-40. PMID: 25654624.
- Johnson CE, Danhauer JL, Rice EN, Fisher SK. Survey of audiologists and cerumen management. Am J Audiol. 2013 Jun; 22(1):2-13. PMID: 23221303.
- Johnson CE, Danhauer JL, Page AS, Freeman BA, Borton TE, Borton BC, Northern JL. AuD-degree holders in tenure-track positions: survey of program chairpersons and AuD-degree holders. J Am Acad Audiol. 2013 May; 24(5):425-46. PMID: 23739062.
College of Allied Health
- Board of Advocates
- Clinical Executive Committee
- Board of Advocates
- Deans Advisory Council
- Honors and Awards Committee
- Promotion and Tenure Committee
- Empowering Patients through Interprofessional Collaboration Faculty - EPIC Project
- American Academy of Audiology, Planning Committee for the Global Summit at Hearing Across the Lifespan, Cernobbio, Italy 2016
- Special Interest Division 7: Aural Rehabilitation and Its Instrumentation, Assistant Editor for Perspectives, American Speech-Language-Hearing Association