PhD, Special Education, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK, 2011
BS, Physical Therapy, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 1985
MS, Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Studies, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, 1980
BS, Physical Education, University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware, 1978
OCTH/PHTH 8272 Developmental Disabilities
- Effect of providing a person self-determined approach within physical therapy settings on motor and self-determination skill development for youth and adults with developmental disabilities.
- Impact of related services (physical therapy and occupational therapy) on self-determination for children with developmental disabilities.
- Self-determination and self-advocacy skills development in children with developmental disabilities as they transition to adulthood
- Student-directed secondary transition planning
- Student involvement in the Individualized Education Program (IEP) process
- Vocational choices and activities for students and adults with severe disabilities
- Woods, L. L., Sylvester, L., & Martin, J.E. (2010). Student-directed transition planning: Increasing student knowledge and self-efficacy in the transition planning process. Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, 33(2), 106-114.
- Snell, M. E., Brady, N., McLean, L., Ogletree, B. T., Siegel, E., Sylvester, L., Mineo, B., Paul, D., Romski, M. A., & Sevcik, R. (2010). Twenty years of communication intervention research with individuals who have severe intellectual and developmental disabilities. American Journal on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities, 115(5), 364-380.
- Smith, J. & Sylvester L. (2009). Transition. In I. McEwen (Ed.) Providing Physical Therapy Services Under Parts B & C of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Arlington, VA: Section on Pediatrics, American Physical Therapy Association.
- Martin, J. E., Woods, L. L., and Sylvester, L. (2008). Building an Employment Vision: Culturally Attuning Vocational Interests, Skills, and Limits. In F. R. Rusch (Ed.), Beyond High School: Preparing Youth for Employment (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Sylvester, L., Woods, L.L., & Martin, J.E. (2006). Whose job is it? Enabling vocational choice-making for individuals with significant disabilities. TASH Connections, 32(5/6), 34-39.
- Martin, J. E., Woods, L. L., Sylvester, L., & Gardner, J. E. (2005). A challenge to self-determination: Disagreement between the vocational choices made by individuals with severe disabilities and their caregivers. Research and Practice for Persons with Severe Disabilities 30(3), 147-153.
- Sylvester, L. (2005). Personal communication and interview. In Snow, K. Disability is Natural: Revolutionary Common Sense for Raising Successful Children with Disabilities, 2nd ed. Woodland Park, CO: BraveHeart Press, 161-166.
- Sylvester, L. (2004). . Physical & Occupational Therapy in Pediatrics, 24(4), 82-83. Instructional Package
- Sylvester, L. Woods, L. L., & Martin, J. E. (2008). Student-directed Transition Planning. Norman, Okla: University of Oklahoma, Zarrow Center, http://education.ou.edu/zarrow/