Post-doctoral Scholar, Aging Research, Pittsburgh Pepper Older Americans Independence Center (NIH/NIA P30AG024827, PI/Mentor: Stephanie Studenski MD, MPH) 2010-2013
PhD, Rehabilitation Science, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA 2010
MS, Physical Therapy with Neuromuscular Focus, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1999
MPT, Physical Therapy, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1996
BS, Biochemistry, SUNY at Geneseo, Geneseo, NY 1994
Societies and Organizations:
Member, Alpha Eta Honor Society
PHTH 8282 Clinical Reasoning in PT I (Primary Instructor and Course Coordinator)
PHTH 9152 Clinical Reasoning in PT II (Group Facilitator)
PHTH 8312 Differential Diagnosis (instructor for oncology content)
OCTH/PHTH 9391 Interprofessional Case Management (Project Facilitator)
PHTH 7990 Oncology Rehabilitation Special Studies (Primary Instructor and Coordinator)
BMSC 5221 Interdisciplinary Journal Club on Pancreas Cancer Translational Science (Faculty Discussant, rodent models of exercise in pancreatic tumor progression)
Frontiers in Translational Science (Lecturer, rodent models of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy)
Balance and Gait Dysfunction in Cancer Survivors (special interest in Chemotherapy-Induced Neurotoxicity)
Prospective Surveillance and Rehabilitation of Side-Effects of Cancer Treatments
Measurement of and Interventions for Balance and Mobility Decline in Older Adults
Exercise and Nutrition Pre-Surgical Rehabilitation (Prehab) for Improved Survival Outcomes in Cancer
- Presbyterian Health Foundation Clinician Scientist Development Award. Preoperative Exercise and Nutrition to Improve Pancreatic Cancer Outcomes by Targeting Sarcopenia: A Translational Pilot RCT. Role: PI, 2016-2018, $150,000.
- Komen Central & Western OK Community Grants Program, UNHE9-00005, Prevention, Education, and Rehabilitation for Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema, Balance, and Shoulder Dysfunction. Role: Project Director, 2015-2016, $124,473.
- Stephenson Cancer Center Seed Funding. Pilot RCT of Exercise and Nutrition Prehabilitation During Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Ovarian and Pancreatic Cancers. Role: PI, 2015-18, $100,000.
- OUHSC College of Allied Health Research Seed Grant. Creating a Nutritional Counseling Program in Neoadjuvant Chemo for Ovarian, Pancreatic and Colorectal Cancers. Role: Mentor/Co-I (PI: Leah Hoffman PhD), 2015-2016, $7,000.
- Rehabilitation Nursing Foundation. Pilot Study of Falls and Near Falls in Women with Ovarian Cancer Receiving Neurotoxic Chemotherapy. Role: Consultant (PI: Grace Campbell PhD, MSW, RN), 2014-2016. $10,000.
- Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute (PCORI), A Comparison of Non-Surgical Treatment Methods for Patients with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, R01 equivalent. co-I (5%), 2013-2015, $1,500,000.
- Pittsburgh Pepper Center NIH/NIA P30AG024827, Exercise to Prevent or Rehabilitate Taxol-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy in a Rat Model: A Translational Feasibility Pilot, Large Pilot Study. co-PI, 2013-2014, $25,000.
- Pittsburgh Pepper Center NIH/NIA P30AG024827, Instrumented Analysis of Mobility and Postural Sway in Older Breast Cancer Survivors with Aromatase Inhibitor-Related Pain (B-SWAID), Large Pilot Study. co-PI, 2011-2013, $33,430.
- Susan G. Komen Pittsburgh, Enhancing Multidisciplinary Supportive Care for Women with Breast Cancer through Balance Screening and Fall Risk Education, Large Grants Program. PI, 2012-2014, $47,250.
- Pittsburgh Pepper Center NIH/NIA P30AG024827, Research Career Development Award, Post-Doctoral Scholar, 2010-2012, 75% Salary Support.
- Hile E. (2016) Fracture Risk in Gynecologic Cancer Survivors. Research Round-up from the Research Committee. Rehab Oncology, 34(1).
- Hile E, Levangie P, Ryans K, Gilchrist L. (2015) Oncology Section Task Force on Breast Cancer Outcomes: Clinical Measures of Chemotherapy-induced Peripheral Neuropathy – A Systematic Review. Rehab Oncol. 33(3):32-41.
- Hile E. (2015) Screening for Imbalance and Falls in Older Cancer Survivors: An Evidence-Informed Model for Clinical Assessment. Top Geriatr Rehabil. 31(4). NIHMS715610.
- Hile E. (2014) Accelerated Aging of Postural Control Systems in Cancer Survivors: A Call to Action for Clinicians and Researchers. Research Round-up from the Research Committee. Rehab Oncology, 32(1).
- Schneider M, Ammendolia C, Murphy D, Glick R, Piva S, Hile E, Tudorascu D, Morton SC. (2014) Comparison of Non-Surgical Treatment Methods for Patients with Lumbar Spinal Stenosis: Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial. Chiropr Man Therap. May 10;22(19): PMID:24872875.
- Hornyak V, Brach JS, Wert DM, Hile E, Studenski S, VanSwearingen JM. (2013) What is the relation between fear of falling and physical activity in older adults? Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 94(12):2529-34. PMID: 23816923.
- Hile ES, Brach JS, Perera S, Wert DM, VanSwearingen J, Studenski SA. (2012) Interpreting the Need for Initial Support to Perform Tandem Stance Tests of Balance. Phys Ther. 92(10): 1316-1328.PMID: 22745198.
- Hile ES, Fitzgerald GK, Studenski SA. Incident Persistent Mobility Disability after Neurotoxic Chemotherapy: A Case Report. (2010) Phys Ther. 2010, 90(11):1649-57. PMID: 20813818.
- Hile E, Hoffman L, Postier R, Ding K, Yang J, Li M. A Feasibility Pilot RCT of Sarcopenia-Focused Prehabilitation in Pancreas Cancer. (2017) NCI Registered Clinical Trial #NCT03256201. J Clin Oncol. 35(15_suppl): ID TPS10127. Trials-in-progress poster presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Hile E, Kostereva, N, Marra K. Pre-Injection Wheel Running Preserves Mobility in a Rodent Model of Paclitaxel Neurotoxicity. manuscript in prep. (2017) J Clin Oncol. 35(15_suppl): ID e21640 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Conference, Chicago, IL.